Our worship, Wednesday nights at 8pm, is called “pause” because it’s like taking a big deep breath in the middle of the week. It begins on September 9th, and will be online (via Zoom) for the foreseeable future. You can expect mostly students to be in attendance, acoustic music, beautiful art, robust conversation, quiet prayer, and reflection. Our worship together is at the center of our community and the point from which our action on campus and in the world springs.
As an expression of the love we know in Christ and are reminded of during this “pause,” we are sent out into the world, onto campus and all the communities our students touch this year, to embody God’s love for the world. We call it “play” as we move from rest to action, and live out our faith in the world. In the days following worship, there will be a few ways to engage with and respond to the scripture text. Maybe that’s serving at a local food shelf, handing out quarantine care kits to students, making a prayer collage at home, or attending a protest/march for justice. The options will change each week and we hope you find them meaningful and a chance to encounter God at work in the world.
We send out weekly e-mails with our Zoom info and the different response options that week after worship. E-mail Dana if you aren’t on our e-mail list and want to get these worship updates!
pause Worship Bulletin // 09.16.2020 @ 8pm
Here are a few things you can gather together to help prepare for worship:
- Communion – We’ll be sharing in the meal of Holy Communion tonight so gather whatever closely resembles bread and grape juice or wine in your home, and bring it to worship.
- Zoom – We’ll be worshiping on Zoom tonight. We’ll have the Zoom room open at 7:50pm. Come early to say hi to folks and we’ll start worship at 8pm! E-mail Dana if you need the Zoom link!
- Bring what makes you feel centered for worship. – Maybe that’s a warm cup of tea or hot cocoa, a pen & paper for doodling, or a candle to light as we worship together.
- Digital Bulletin – We also recommend pulling this digital bulletin up on your phone, or in a different tab, so you can follow along with worship.
Prelude – Where We Are by Nate Crary
Meet us where we are
When we gather near and far
And if we are apart
Make a place inside our hearts for love
God’s son, the one who died for us
As we become the hands and feet of Jesus (Christ)
Welcome to Worship
Gathering Song – Show Up by Joe Davis
Prayer of the Day
Reading – Matthew 14:22-33
22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land,[a] for the wind was against them. 25 And early in the morning, he came walking toward them on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.”
28 Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he noticed the strong wind,[b] he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
Offering – Poetry by Joe Davis
This week, the following options are ways to respond to God’s call to love. When you check a box on the form, we’ll follow up with more information (it’s not a formal RSVP). If you are called to respond in other ways, we’d love to know that as well!
- Meet with an LCMer 1:1 // Dig into community this week and get to know another LCMer. We will pair folks up who want to do 1:1s this week!
- Service Opportunity // Sat., 8am-noon // A small group of LCMers are serving at Calvary Lutheran Church’s Food Shelf. We do have a limit of 10 students who can volunteer!
- Prayers for a New World Chalk Station // Thurs., 11:30am-1:30pm // Join Pastor Kate by Grace University Lutheran Church to write your prayers for a new world together.
Prayers of the People
During Communion, we’ll break you into Zoom Rooms to commune with one another. Say to each other individually, “NAME, The Body of Christ given for you. The blood of Christ shed for you.”
Our Creator, our Mother, our Father in Heaven
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those
who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and forever. Amen.
Post Communion Blessing
WE GO OUT
- Join an LCM Small Group | Click here for more information on small groups and to sign-up.
- Sign Up for a Worship Bag | This year, we’re giving away monthly Worship Bags that will have all you need for worship, including homemade communion bread, a home altar set up, candles, and more. Click here to sign-up!