We believe in the power of (free!) food, and shared meals. Of course, it is one of the best ways to get to know other folks in the community. But we know some folks are also lonely, or food insecure, or hungry for something more than just food. Maybe that’s you, or maybe that’s someone you know. Expect that you and your people are especially welcome. Meals are simple, and always have vegan and gluten-free options.
- Be Fed | Tuesdays @ 11:30am-1pm | A free, weekly meal is served from 11:30am-1pm on Tuesdays at Grace University Lutheran Church. There is always enough food so don’t feel like you have to pre-eat! Some folks are on their way to or from somewhere, and some stay the whole time! Be fed with food, conversation, and community each week!
Small groups are an excellent way to dive into our community, get to know a smaller group of LCMers, and to talk about faith and God with other students! Some of these groups meet weekly, others meet on a monthly or seasonal basis. Email Dana to get connected to any of these small groups!
- Queer Bible Study – This is an LGBTQIA+ space to build community, wrestle with scripture together, and talk about the intersections of queerness + faith. If you want more info about Queer Bible Study, email Dana so she can get you on the QBS email list!
- Saint Paul Community Small Group – A weekly, unstructured conversation about big questions. We discuss if (and/or why) we believe what the church teaches by tackling a big question each week. Some past questions include: does everyone go to heaven? Is the Bible the Word of God? Do we have free will? You are welcome even if you don’t live in St. Paul! Email Ben to get involved!
- Walking the Way of Love Small Group – Are you looking to deepen your relationship with God? Is personal spirituality confusing to you, or have you been meaning to explore it but just haven’t gotten around to it? You’re in luck! Pastor Kate and a small group of students will be reading Walking the Way of Love together this semester. We’ll meet to reflect together about God’s presence in our lives, to share what we’ve learned, and to hold one another accountable to “Walking the Way of Love.” We are asking for a full 8-week commitment (we’ll all skip Spring Break Week), to facilitate a deeper experience for everyone that is involved. RSVP to Pastor Kate by February 3rd if you would like to participate and we’ll make sure to have a book on hand for you!
We’re a community that loves to get to know one another outside of worship and to laugh and create joy together in Christian community! Whether that’s through hosting an LCM game night, going to an apple orchard, or pumpkin painting for Halloween, we hope to see you there. Check out our calendar for upcoming community events!
Retreats and Spring Break
- Our Fall Retreat is always on a lake in Wisconsin and is a great chance to take a deep breath after the hustle and bustle of the first weeks of fall. This year it’s October 8-10, 2021 at Heartwood Retreat Center. Email Pastor Kate (email@example.com) for more information.
- Our Alternative Spring Breaks are wide-ranging. We have traveled to Holden Village, Chiapas (a state in southern Mexico), learned from and served with the Pueblo people near Albuquerque, participated in a border immersion in Tijuana, gone to NYC on an interfaith service trip with students from Al Madinah, a Muslim group on campus, and cleaned up houses on the Gulf Coast. It’s always affordable, and always a good time! We’re still waiting to plan Sping Break for this coming year, but know there will be something!
At the heart of our life together, we offer a variety of ways to explore our vocations as it intersects with faith and life. You may attend a Faith and Leadership dinner where we meet with community leaders to learn how their faith influences their professions, or you may take deep dives into retreats; exploring questions of “What am I called to do?” and “Who am I called to be?”. Visit our calendar to learn what is happening soon!